Monastic Wales.








Display site:

Ruthin (Priory)

also known as: Ruthin

Order: Bonhommes Canons

This was a modest urban foundation of Bonhommes Canons. show details of standing remains

Dedicated to: St Peter and St Meugan Medieval Diocese: St Asaph
Lordship at foundation: Dyffryn
Access: Parish church of St Peter and St Meugan is open to the public
Owned by: Representative Body of the Church in Wales

Main events in the history of this site

1310Foundation - The foundation of the house is attributed to John de Grey (d. 1323), son of Reginald, the first lord Grey of Ruthin.  [1 source]
c.1375Building work - A south aisle was added in the latter half of the fourteenth century.
 [1 source]
1478Papal petition - A monk of the Cistercian abbey of Dundrennan, Scotland, sought papal permission to transfer to Ruthin. [1 source]
c.1479Dispersal - It seems that by 1478 Ruthin had failed and the community had dispersed. [3 sources]
1485x1508Construction work - The construction of the roof of the north aisle is thought to have been undertaken at this time, on account of the heraldry here. [1 source]
1535Dissolution - Ruthin was dissolved in 1535 with the lesser religious houses. [2 sources]
+ 4 minor events. Show minor events

People associated with this site

Edmund Grey , first earl of Kent (1416–1490) and lord of Ruthin (patron)

John Grey , second Lord Grey of Wilton (founder (considered))

Priors of Ruthin

Bibliographical sources

10 Printed sources

show sources

3 On-line sources

show online sources

Archival sources

National Library of Wales, 'Common seal of St Peter's, Ruthin', (Document), (View website)

Related articles on Monastic Wales

Remnants of Ruthin Priory,

Images of this site

Corbel head

Corbel head

Corbel head, Church of St Peter and St Meugan, Ruthin

Denbighshire, OS Grid:SJ1236158378
View site details on COFLEIN (RCAHMW database)[new window]


 
Graphic.