Monastic Wales.








Display site:

Newport (Friary)

Order: Austin Friars

Newport friary was seemingly the only house of the Austin Friars in Wales. It was founded in the late fourteenth century by Hugh, earl of Stafford, and surrendered in 1538. show details of standing remains

Medieval Diocese: Llandaff
Lordship at foundation: Glamorgan
Access: No remains; the bus station now occupies the site of the friary.

Main events in the history of this site

c.1377Foundation - The friary was founded shortly before 1377 by Hugh, earl of Stafford, seemingly on the site of a chapel dedicated to St Nicholas.
 [3 sources]
c.1402Destruction - The friary was destroyed in the Welsh revolt but was rebuilt shortly thereafter thanks to the duke of Buckingham. [2 sources]
pre 1448Bequest - Hugh, duke of Buckingham, gave twenty-two burgages to the friary. [1 source]
1482Bequest - Henry, duke of Buckingham, gave six burgages to the friar. [1 source]
1495Bequest - Jasper Tudor, duke of Bedford and uncle of Henry VII, bequeathed twenty shillings to the Austin Friars at Newport. [2 sources]
1538Dissolution - On 8 September 1538 the friary was surrendered to the king's agent by the last prior of Newport, Richard Batte. [5 sources]
+ 4 minor events. Show minor events

People associated with this site

Hugh, second earl of Stafford (founder)

Bibliographical sources

9 Printed sources

show sources

6 On-line sources

show online sources

Archival sources

The National Archives, 'Records of the Exchequer, and its related bodies, with those of the Office of First Fruits and Tenth', (Document), (View website)

Newport, OS Grid:ST31228807
View site details on COFLEIN (RCAHMW database)[new window]


 
Graphic.