Event detail for site: Slebech
c. 1420-81: Pilgrimage
The poet, Lewys Glyn Cothi, described the crowds that flocked to the altar of St John, Slebech, hoping for healing and forgiveness.
Gwaith Lewys Glyn Cothi, ed. D. R. Johnstone (Cardiff, 1995) no. 3
Harper, Sally, Music in Welsh Culture before 1650: A Study of the Principal Sources (Ashgate: Aldershot, 2007) p. 225
Other events in the history of this site
1148-1176: Foundation - The land at Slebech was donated to the Knights Hospitaller at some time between 1148 and 1176 and became a Commandery.
This duly became the head quarters of the Knights Hospitaller in West Wales.
1155-1230: Dispute - A dispute between Worcester Cathedral and the Knights Hospitaller at Slebech over various possessions was resolved by Bishop Anselm in 1230, who confirmed the Hospitallers' rights to these lands and possessions in West Wales.
pre 1176: Confirmation - The bishop David of St Davids (1147-76) intervened and issued a confirmation of those properties and lands belonging to the Knights at Slebech.
1230: Confirmation - Bishop Anselm issued a confirmation of the land in the Knights' possession. [1 sources]
1312: Acquisition - Slebach acquired land from the Knights Templar at Templeton when that community disbanded.
1338: Pilgrimage - Slebech hosted a number of pilgrims and in 1338 the preceptor complained that Welshmen flocked to the abbey from one day to another, placing a great strain on the commandery's resources. [4 sources]
1338: Wealth - In 1338 Slebech had the largest income of all Hospitaller houses in England and Wales, bar Clerkenwell, near London. [1 sources]
c.1420-81: Pilgrimage - The poet, Lewys Glyn Cothi, described the crowds that flocked to the altar of St John, Slebech, hoping for healing and forgiveness. [2 sources]
c.1538: Dissolution - By 1538 the Barlow family was renting Slebech which was bought by Roger Barlow and Thomas Barlow in 1546. [2 sources][1 archives]