Monastic Wales.








Display site:

Bassaleg (Priory)

also known as: Basaleg; Basselech; Basele

Order: Benedictine

Bassaleg Priory was founded as a cell of Glastonbury Abbey pre 1107 when Robert of Hay granted the ancient ‘clas’ church of St Basil to the English house. show details of standing remains

Dedicated to: St Basil Medieval Diocese: Llandaff
Affiliated to: Glastonbury Abbey (mother-house)
Lordship at foundation: Glamorgan
Access: No remains

Main events in the history of this site

c.1100Foundation - The foundation charter has not survived but was copied by Adam of Domerham, a monk of Glastonbury, and a thirteenth-century copy is preserved in Trinity College, Cambridge, MS R.5.33, 106v. [2 sources][1 archive]
1116Official beginnings - The first monks arrived from Glastonbury to occupy the cell. [1 source]
1146Dispute - The monks were involved in a dispute with the chaplain of St Gundleus over the boundaries of their parishes.  [1 source]
c.1175Patronage - Hywel ab Iorwerth gave the monks lands in Rumney Moor. [1 source]
1230-1240Spiritualities - Although it was against Canon Law for communities to lease out their spiritual holdings this was not uncommon.  [2 sources]
pre 1252Dissolution - Monastic life at Bassaleg had ceased by 1252. [1 source]
+ 3 minor events. Show minor events

People associated with this site

Hywel ab Iorwerth , lord of Caerleon (benefactor)

Priors of Bassaleg

Robert of Hay , lord of Gwynllŵg (founder)

Bibliographical sources

9 Printed sources

show sources

Archival sources

Trinity College, Cambridge, '13th century copy of the foundation charter of Bassaleg Priory', (Document),

Related articles on Monastic Wales

Who were the Benedictines?, Professor Janet Burton

Newport, OS Grid:ST27748712


 
Graphic.