Monastic Wales.

Display site:

Llangennith (Priory)

also known as: Llangenydd

Order: Benedictine

Llangennith was an alien priory dependent on the Norman abbey of St Taurinus, Evreux, and was gifted to the Norman community. Llangennith was never raised to conventual status and remained a small cell that was manned by a few monks. show details of standing remains

Dedicated to: St Cenydd Medieval Diocese: St David's
Affiliated to: St Taurinus, Evreux, Normandy (mother-house)
Lordship at foundation: Glamorgan
Access: Public access to the parish church of St Cenydd
Owned by: Representative Body of the Church in Wales

Main events in the history of this site

pre 1123Foundation - Llangennith was an alien priory established before 1123 when the church of St Cenydd was granted to the monks of St Taurinus, Normandy. [3 sources]
1195Confirmation - Richard I (1189-99) confirmed all the priory’s previous grants. [1 source]
1218Size of community - At this time there were two or three monks at Llangennith. [1 source]
pre 1223Illicit affairs - According to Gerald of Wales, a prior of Llangennith brought shame upon the house when he engaged in an illicit affair with a young woman of Gower. [2 sources]
1291Wealth - According to Pope Nicholas IV's Taxatio Ecclesiastica, Llangennith’s temporalities were assessed at £4 16s and the community had 120 acres of arable land and six cows. [2 sources]
1295x1360Custody - Following the outbreak of war with France, Llangennith was periodically taken into royal custody [2 sources]
1377Poll tax - Only the prior of the house is listed on the poll tax return. [1 source][1 archive]
1413x1421Custody - The house was seized again during Henry V's reign and taken into royal custody. [1 source]
c.1434Custody - By 1434 Llangennith's links with St Taurinus had been severed. [1 source]
1441Dissolution - On 16 March 1441 Archbishop Chichele and his colleagues surrendered the house to Henry VI. [1 source]
1442Post monastic ownership - On 5 February Archbishop Chichele and his colleagues granted Llangennith and St Clears to the king who duly granted them to the Oxford colleges of Warden and All Souls in April. [2 sources]
+ 9 minor events. Show minor events

People associated with this site

Henry de Beaumont (Newburgh) , earl of Warwick (founder?)

Priors of Llangennith

Bibliographical sources

14 Printed sources

show sources

1 On-line sources

show online sources

Archival sources

The National Archives, 'Exchequer, King's Remembrancer Clerical Subsidies - Llangennith Priory 1377', (Document), (View website)

Related articles on Monastic Wales

Who were the Benedictines?, Professor Janet Burton

Images of this site

Church of St Cenydd, Llangennith

Church of St Cenydd, Llangennith

Church of St Cenydd, Llangennith

Swansea, OS Grid:SS42889141
View site details on COFLEIN (RCAHMW database)[new window]