Event detail for site: Cardiff
The house was dissolved in 1403 although the site may have been abandoned prior to this.
Medieval Religious Houses, England and Wales, ed. R. Neville Hadcock and David Knowles (Harlow, 1971) p. 61
Rees, W., 'The priory of Cardiff and other possessions of the abbey of Tewkesbury in Glamorgan,', South Wales and Monmouthshire Record Society 2 (1950) p. 151
Other events in the history of this site
pre 1106: Foundation - Robert fitz Hamon granted the church of St Mary with its eight dependent chapels to Tewkesbury Abbey, to establish a cell for five monks. [2 sources]
1173x83: Rebuilding and re-dedication - The church was rebuilt and re-dedicated to St Mary and St Thomas the Martyr. [1 sources]
1220: Community flees - The community escaped the turbulent conditions in Wales and took refuge at Tewkesbury Abbey. [4 sources]
1233: Administration - The prior of Cardiff returned from Tewkesbury to administer the priory's holdings but the weir on the Taff was leased out for five years. [2 sources]
c.1291: Wealth - The prioryâ€™s holdings were assessed at Â£20 for the Taxatio Ecclesiastica. [2 sources]
c.1300: Patronage - Patronage of the house was vested in the earls of Gloucester; it then passed to the Despensers and thereafter to the Crown. [1 sources]
1403: Dissolution - The house was dissolved in 1403 although the site may have been abandoned prior to this. [2 sources]
c.1403: Destruction - The priory was sacked by the rebel, Owain Glyn DÅµr (d. c. 1416). [1 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.