Event detail for site: Llanllugan
c. 1536: Dissolution
The house was dissolved under the 1536 Act of Suppression.
The exact date of its dissolution is not known. At this time there were only three nuns.
Medieval Religious Houses, England and Wales, ed. R. Neville Hadcock and David Knowles (Harlow, 1971) p. 274
Cartwright, Jane, Feminine Sanctity and Spirituality in Medieval Wales (University of Wales Press: Cardiff, 2008) p. 267
Jack, Sybil, 'Dissolution dates for the monasteries dissolved under the Act of 1536', Bulletin of the Institute of Historical Research, 43 (1970) p. 180
Williams, David H., 'Cistercian Nunneries in Medieval Wales', CÃ®teaux: commentarii cistercienses, 26 (1975) p. 158.
Other events in the history of this site
c.1190: Foundation - The exact date of the foundation of the house by Maredudd ap Rhobert (d. 1244), lord of Cedewain, is not certain but it was likely established between 1170 and 1190. [2 sources]
1239: Spiritualities - Bishop Hugh of St Asaph granted the community the tithes of Llanfair. [1 sources]
1263: Grant - Bishop Anian of St Asaph granted the community half the profits from the church of Llanllwchaiarn. [1 sources]
c.1291: Wealth - According to the Taxatio the house had 2 1/2 carucates of land and rents, which amounted to Â£1 1s 0d. [3 sources]
1377: Numbers - At this time the community comprised four nuns and an abbess. [1 sources]
1381: Clerical poll tax - Monies required from community. [1 sources][1 archives]
c.1450: Patronage - Richard of York was a generous patron of the house. [1 sources]
1530: Transfer - Episcopal licence was granted to an Augustinian nun of Limebrook to transfer to Llanllugan.
c.1535: Wealth - The net income of the house according to the Valor Ecclesiasticus was c. Â£22. [3 sources][1 archives]
c.1536: Dissolution - The house was dissolved under the 1536 Act of Suppression. [4 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.