Event detail for site: Carmarthen
The priory was suppressed on the 17 February 1537, under the 1536 Act of Suppression.
Nothing remains of the priory for the site was used by Lord Cawdor for lead works in the eighteenth century. However, the locations of some of the buildings are known from excavations carried out in 1979. This work also shed some light on the likely layout of the church which was seemingly cruciform and about fifty-five metres in length. The precinct was entered through a gateway in the NW; this entrance survives.
Cooper, R., Abbeys and Priories of Wales (Swansea, 1992) pp. 46-47
Jack, Sybil, 'Dissolution dates for the monasteries dissolved under the Act of 1536', Bulletin of the Institute of Historical Research, 43 (1970) p. 180
Other events in the history of this site
pre 1127: Foundation - The site had a long history of religious occupation. [1 sources]
1208: Attempted takeover - William de Londres and the canons of Llanthony Secunda (Glos) seemingly sought to take over Carmarthen Priory although they were later removed. [2 sources]
c.1250: Source compiled - The Black Book of Carmarthen was likely written or copied at the priory. [1 sources][1 archives]
c.1291: Wealth - The Taxatio Ecclesiastica assessed the priory's net income at £13 6s 2d. [1 sources]
1377: Clerical poll tax - The prior and five canons [JOHN VEEL, WILLIAM FRANC', GUY WILD, WALTER TAYM (CAYM), JOHN ROBBERT] were each to pay a tax of 12d. [1 sources][1 archives]
1379: Clerical poll tax - Monies required from the community. [1 sources][1 archives]
1403: Destruction - The house was looted and despoiled during the Owain Glyn Dŵr rebellion. [1 sources]
1421 (April): Royal custody - Henry V placed the priory in the hands of adminstrators. [1 sources]
1424: Protection - Protection was granted to the priory which had suffered from the mismanagement of its prior. [1 sources]
1534 (July): Act of Supremacy - Prior Griffin William(s) acknowledged the Act of Supremacy. [3 sources]
c.1535: Wealth - The Valor Ecclesiasticus estimated the priory's net income as £91 6s 3d. [2 sources]
1536: Numbers - At this time there were twelve canons. [1 sources]
1537: Dissolution - The priory was suppressed on the 17 February 1537, under the 1536 Act of Suppression. [2 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.