Event detail for site: Carmarthen
c. 1250: Source compiled
The Black Book of Carmarthen was likely written or copied at the priory.
The Black Book of Carmarthen takes its name from the colour of its binding and its connection with the Augustinian priory of St John the Evangelist and Teulyddog, Carmarthen. It is now thought to be the work of a single scribe writing at different periods c. 1250. As such it is one of the earliest surviving manuscripts written purely in the Welsh language. In the nineteenth century it was named one of the Four Ancient Books of Wales.
Web links (open in new window)
Other events in the history of this site
pre 1127: Foundation - The site had a long history of religious occupation. [1 sources]
1208: Attempted takeover - William de Londres and the canons of Llanthony Secunda (Glos) seemingly sought to take over Carmarthen Priory although they were later removed. [2 sources]
c.1250: Source compiled - The Black Book of Carmarthen was likely written or copied at the priory. [1 sources][1 archives]
c.1291: Wealth - The Taxatio Ecclesiastica assessed the priory's net income at £13 6s 2d. [1 sources]
1377: Clerical poll tax - The prior and five canons [JOHN VEEL, WILLIAM FRANC', GUY WILD, WALTER TAYM (CAYM), JOHN ROBBERT] were each to pay a tax of 12d. [1 sources][1 archives]
1379: Clerical poll tax - Monies required from the community. [1 sources][1 archives]
1403: Destruction - The house was looted and despoiled during the Owain Glyn Dŵr rebellion. [1 sources]
1421 (April): Royal custody - Henry V placed the priory in the hands of adminstrators. [1 sources]
1424: Protection - Protection was granted to the priory which had suffered from the mismanagement of its prior. [1 sources]
1534 (July): Act of Supremacy - Prior Griffin William(s) acknowledged the Act of Supremacy. [3 sources]
c.1535: Wealth - The Valor Ecclesiasticus estimated the priory's net income as £91 6s 3d. [2 sources]
1536: Numbers - At this time there were twelve canons. [1 sources]
1537: Dissolution - The priory was suppressed on the 17 February 1537, under the 1536 Act of Suppression. [2 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.