Event detail for site: Ruthin
Ruthin was dissolved in 1535 with the lesser religious houses.
At this time the house was under the patronage of the earl of Kent.
Medieval Religious Houses, England and Wales, ed. R. Neville Hadcock and David Knowles (Harlow, 1971) p. 204
StÃ¶ber, Karen, Late Medieval Monasteries and their Patrons: England and Wales, c.1300-1540, Studies in the History of Medieval Religion, 29 (Woodbridge, 2007) pp. 50-51
Other events in the history of this site
1310: Foundation - The foundation of the house is attributed to John de Grey (d. 1323), son of Reginald, the first lord Grey of Ruthin. [1 sources]
c.1375: Building work - A south aisle was added in the latter half of the fourteenth century.
1478: Papal petition - A monk of the Cistercian abbey of Dundrennan, Scotland, sought papal permission to transfer to Ruthin. [1 sources]
c.1479: Dispersal - It seems that by 1478 Ruthin had failed and the community had dispersed. [3 sources]
1485x1508: Construction work - The construction of the roof of the north aisle is thought to have been undertaken at this time, on account of the heraldry here. [1 sources]
1535: Dissolution - Ruthin was dissolved in 1535 with the lesser religious houses. [2 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.