Event detail for site: Ruthin
c. 1479: Dispersal
It seems that by 1478 Ruthin had failed and the community had dispersed.
The following year Edmund, lord of Ruthin, tried to revive the community. He wrote to the pope in 1479 requesting permission to make the canons return to the house; in this letter Edmund explained that he had converted Ruthin from a house for secular priests into a priory for canons following the Rule of St Augustine. Bishop Thomas Myllyng of Hereford's register mentions that Ruthin was a house of Bonhommes canons in 1478.
Registrum Thome Myllyng, episcopi Herefordensis, 1474-1492, Canterbury and York Society, ed. Arthur Thomas Bannister (London, 1920) p. 160
Medieval Religious Houses, England and Wales, ed. R. Neville Hadcock and David Knowles (Harlow, 1971) pp. 203-204
StÃ¶ber, Karen, Late Medieval Monasteries and their Patrons: England and Wales, c.1300-1540, Studies in the History of Medieval Religion, 29 (Woodbridge, 2007) pp. 50-51
Other events in the history of this site
1310: Foundation - The foundation of the house is attributed to John de Grey (d. 1323), son of Reginald, the first lord Grey of Ruthin. [1 sources]
c.1375: Building work - A south aisle was added in the latter half of the fourteenth century.
1478: Papal petition - A monk of the Cistercian abbey of Dundrennan, Scotland, sought papal permission to transfer to Ruthin. [1 sources]
c.1479: Dispersal - It seems that by 1478 Ruthin had failed and the community had dispersed. [3 sources]
1485x1508: Construction work - The construction of the roof of the north aisle is thought to have been undertaken at this time, on account of the heraldry here. [1 sources]
1535: Dissolution - Ruthin was dissolved in 1535 with the lesser religious houses. [2 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.