Event detail for site: Bassaleg
Although it was against Canon Law for communities to lease out their spiritual holdings this was not uncommon.
From 1230 to 1240 Abbot Michael of Glastonbury granted Bassaleg and its chapels to Bishop Elias of Llandaff to hold as a perpetual farm of 35 marks which gave him the right to appoint the vicars of the chapels. According to Cowley (The Monastic Order in South Wales), Abbot Michael's actions were a matter of â€˜expediency rather than desperationâ€™.
Episcopal Acts and Cognate Documents relating to the Welsh Dioceses 1066-1272, 2 vols, ed. J. Conway Davies (Cardiff, 1946-1948) vol. 2, pp. 719, 721
Cowley, F. G., The Monastic Order in South Wales 1066-1349 (Cardiff, 1977) pp. 53, 179
Other events in the history of this site
c.1100: Foundation - The foundation charter has not survived but was copied by Adam of Domerham, a monk of Glastonbury, and a thirteenth-century copy is preserved in Trinity College, Cambridge, MS R.5.33, 106v. [2 sources][1 archives]
1116: Official beginnings - The first monks arrived from Glastonbury to occupy the cell. [1 sources]
1146: Dispute - The monks were involved in a dispute with the chaplain of St Gundleus over the boundaries of their parishes. [1 sources]
c.1175: Patronage - Hywel ab Iorwerth gave the monks lands in Rumney Moor. [1 sources]
1230-1240: Spiritualities - Although it was against Canon Law for communities to lease out their spiritual holdings this was not uncommon. [2 sources]
pre 1252: Dissolution - Monastic life at Bassaleg had ceased by 1252. [1 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.