Event detail for site: Caldey
In late September the priory was surveyed in advance of its suppression.
The Heads of Religious Houses in England and Wales, III, 1377-1540, ed. David M. Smith (CUP: Cambridge, 2008) p. 160
Other events in the history of this site
c.1115: Foundation - The priory was founded c. 1113x15 by Geva, the mother of Robert fitz Martin, as a dependency of her son's foundation of St Dogmaels. [3 sources]
c.1180: Numbers - By the late twelfth century the monastic community at Caldey was seemingly small, with just one or two monks.
1381: Clerical poll tax - PHILIP FADIR, prior of Caldy, is assessed to pay a tax of 6s.8d. [1 sources][1 archives]
1504: Visitation - In July 1504 the see of St David's was vacant and the archdiocese of Canterbury undertook a visitation of St Dogmaels and its daughter-house, Caldey. [1 sources]
c.1535: Wealth - According to the Valor Ecclesiasticus the priory had an annual income of Â£5 10s 11d and tithes of Â£1 is 11d. [3 sources][1 archives]
c.1535: Numbers - On the eve of the Dissolution there was only one monk on the island. [1 sources]
1536: Survey - In late September the priory was surveyed in advance of its suppression. [1 sources]
1537: Dissolution - The priory was suppressed with the lesser houses on 8 April 1537, under the 1536 Act of Suppression. [3 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.