Event detail for site: Bassaleg
c. 1100: Foundation
The foundation charter has not survived but was copied by Adam of Domerham, a monk of Glastonbury, and a thirteenth-century copy is preserved in Trinity College, Cambridge, MS R.5.33, 106v.
This states that Robert de Hay and his wife, Gundreda, granted the church at Bassaleg and all pertaining to it to the monks of Glastonbury; Robert recorded that he had acquired the permission of his lord, Robert fitz Hamon, and his wife, Gundreda, to do so.
People associated with this event
Robert of Hay , lord of Gwynllŵg (founder)
Medieval Religious Houses, England and Wales, ed. R. Neville Hadcock and David Knowles (Harlow, 1971) p. 59
Coplestone-Crow, B., 'The foundation of the priories of Bassaleg and Malpas in the twelfth century', Monmouthshire Antiquary, 14 (1998) pp. 3-4, 11
Trinity College, Cambridge, '13th century copy of the foundation charter of Bassaleg Priory', (Document),
Other events in the history of this site
c.1100: Foundation - The foundation charter has not survived but was copied by Adam of Domerham, a monk of Glastonbury, and a thirteenth-century copy is preserved in Trinity College, Cambridge, MS R.5.33, 106v. [2 sources][1 archives]
1116: Official beginnings - The first monks arrived from Glastonbury to occupy the cell. [1 sources]
1146: Dispute - The monks were involved in a dispute with the chaplain of St Gundleus over the boundaries of their parishes. [1 sources]
c.1175: Patronage - Hywel ab Iorwerth gave the monks lands in Rumney Moor. [1 sources]
1230-1240: Spiritualities - Although it was against Canon Law for communities to lease out their spiritual holdings this was not uncommon. [2 sources]
pre 1252: Dissolution - Monastic life at Bassaleg had ceased by 1252. [1 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.