Event detail for site: Llanllugan
c. 1291: Wealth
According to the Taxatio the house had 2 1/2 carucates of land and rents, which amounted to Â£1 1s 0d.
The community had only eight cows at this time.
Graham, Rose, 'The taxation of Pope Nicholas IVth', Engish Historical Review, 23 (1908), pp. 434-454
Williams, David H., 'Cistercian Nunneries in Medieval Wales', CÃ®teaux: commentarii cistercienses, 26 (1975) p. 161
Web links (open in new window)
Other events in the history of this site
c.1190: Foundation - The exact date of the foundation of the house by Maredudd ap Rhobert (d. 1244), lord of Cedewain, is not certain but it was likely established between 1170 and 1190. [2 sources]
1239: Spiritualities - Bishop Hugh of St Asaph granted the community the tithes of Llanfair. [1 sources]
1263: Grant - Bishop Anian of St Asaph granted the community half the profits from the church of Llanllwchaiarn. [1 sources]
c.1291: Wealth - According to the Taxatio the house had 2 1/2 carucates of land and rents, which amounted to Â£1 1s 0d. [3 sources]
1377: Numbers - At this time the community comprised four nuns and an abbess. [1 sources]
1381: Clerical poll tax - Monies required from community. [1 sources][1 archives]
c.1450: Patronage - Richard of York was a generous patron of the house. [1 sources]
1530: Transfer - Episcopal licence was granted to an Augustinian nun of Limebrook to transfer to Llanllugan.
c.1535: Wealth - The net income of the house according to the Valor Ecclesiasticus was c. Â£22. [3 sources][1 archives]
c.1536: Dissolution - The house was dissolved under the 1536 Act of Suppression. [4 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.