Event detail for site: Denbigh
The friary was founded at some time during the 1270s and the 1280s.
It is not known for certain who founded Denbigh. Although it has traditionally been attributed to the Salusbury [Salisbury] family who were later patrons of the house the founder was more likely John de Sunimore [Swynmore]. The historian and cartographer, John Speed (d.1629), ascribes the foundation to Sunimore.
Web links (open in new window)
Other events in the history of this site
1270x1280: Foundation - The friary was founded at some time during the 1270s and the 1280s. [2 sources]
1373: Bequest - Llewelyn ap Madoc, bishop of St Asaph, bequeathed 20s to the Carmelites of Denbigh. [1 sources]
1483: Burial - Henry, son of Thomas of Salusbury, was buried at Denbigh Priory. [1 sources]
1489: Burial - John of Salusbury, son of Thomas, died 9 March 1489 and was buried at Denbigh Priory. [1 sources]
1535: Bequest - Bishop Standish bequeathed 20 marks pro edificare claustri to the friars of Denbigh. [1 sources]
1537: Dissolution - At the time of its dissolution there were just four friars at Denbigh. [1 sources]
1538: Bequest - Richard ap Howel ap Ieuan of Mostyn made a bequest to the friary. [1 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.