Event detail for site: Bangor
c. 1251: Foundation
The friary was founded by Llywelyn ap Gruffydd and is first mentioned in 1251.
People associated with this event
Llywelyn ap Gruffudd , Prince of Wales (founder)
Medieval Religious Houses, England and Wales, ed. R. Neville Hadcock and David Knowles (Harlow, 1971) p. 215
Williams, G., The Welsh Church from Conquest to Reformation (rev. edn; Cardiff, 1976) p. 40
Other events in the history of this site
c.1251: Foundation - The friary was founded by Llywelyn ap Gruffydd and is first mentioned in 1251. [2 sources]
1284: Compensation - As a consequence of damage suffered during the Edwardian Wars the Dominicans at Bangor received £100 compensation from the king. This was a significant sum for a friary. [1 sources]
1291: Grant - Eleanor of Castile gave 100s to Bangor and to each of the other four Dominican houses in Wales. [1 sources]
c.1299: Reconstruction - The priory was allegedly rebuilt or enlarged at the end of the thirteenth century. [3 sources]
1370: Bequest - The friars of Bangor were the chief beneficiaries of Gervase de Castro, bishop of Bangor, who died in 1370. [1 sources]
1538: Bequest - A will of October 1538 left the sum of 6s. 8d to the friars of Bangor. [1 sources]
1538: Dissolution - The friary was suppressed in 1538; by this time many of the buildings were ruinous yet the site was still desirable and Edward Griffith, a member of the local gentry, was eager to secure the former friary as a town house. [2 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.