Event detail for site: Bangor
As a consequence of damage suffered during the Edwardian Wars the Dominicans at Bangor received £100 compensation from the king. This was a significant sum for a friary.
Williams, G., The Welsh Church from Conquest to Reformation (rev. edn; Cardiff, 1976) pp. 43-44
Other events in the history of this site
c.1251: Foundation - The friary was founded by Llywelyn ap Gruffydd and is first mentioned in 1251. [2 sources]
1284: Compensation - As a consequence of damage suffered during the Edwardian Wars the Dominicans at Bangor received £100 compensation from the king. This was a significant sum for a friary. [1 sources]
1291: Grant - Eleanor of Castile gave 100s to Bangor and to each of the other four Dominican houses in Wales. [1 sources]
c.1299: Reconstruction - The priory was allegedly rebuilt or enlarged at the end of the thirteenth century. [3 sources]
1370: Bequest - The friars of Bangor were the chief beneficiaries of Gervase de Castro, bishop of Bangor, who died in 1370. [1 sources]
1538: Bequest - A will of October 1538 left the sum of 6s. 8d to the friars of Bangor. [1 sources]
1538: Dissolution - The friary was suppressed in 1538; by this time many of the buildings were ruinous yet the site was still desirable and Edward Griffith, a member of the local gentry, was eager to secure the former friary as a town house. [2 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.