Event detail for site: Cardiff
The friary was dissolved in 1538. At this time there were just seven friars and the house was in serious debt.
Dr Richard Ingworth visited the friary on 6 September to secure its surrender. The friars were summoned to their chapter house where they each signed the surrender deed. The house and its contents were duly handed over to a merchant of Cardiff, John Loveday, who was also deputy bailiff of the town. It was said that the house had suffered severe loss just a few days previous through the deaths of its prior, sub-prior and another friar, seemingly through illness.
Medieval Religious Houses, England and Wales, ed. R. Neville Hadcock and David Knowles (Harlow, 1971) p. 215
Harper, Sally, Music in Welsh Culture before 1650: A Study of the Principal Sources (Ashgate: Aldershot, 2007) p. 275
Rees, W., 'The suppression of the friaries in Glamorgan and Monmouthshire', in Miscellany, South Wales and Monmouth Record Society, 3, ed. H. J. Randall and W. Rees (Cardiff, 1954) pp. 12-13
Other events in the history of this site
c.1242: Foundation - The Dominicans had settled in Cardiff by 1243. Their site was on the banks of the River Taff, near the West Gate of the town. [2 sources]
1291: Grant - Eleanor of Castile gave 100s to Cardiff and to each of the other four Dominican houses in Wales. [1 sources]
1538: Dissolution - The friary was dissolved in 1538. At this time there were just seven friars and the house was in serious debt. [3 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.