Event detail for site: Cardiff
Eleanor of Castile gave 100s to Cardiff and to each of the other four Dominican houses in Wales.
Jones, Barbara, 'The Dominican Friars of Haverfordwest: their sites and lands before and after the dissolution of the monasteries', Journal of the Pembrokeshire Historical Society, 3 (1989) p. 80
Other events in the history of this site
c.1242: Foundation - The Dominicans had settled in Cardiff by 1243. Their site was on the banks of the River Taff, near the West Gate of the town. [2 sources]
1291: Grant - Eleanor of Castile gave 100s to Cardiff and to each of the other four Dominican houses in Wales. [1 sources]
1538: Dissolution - The friary was dissolved in 1538. At this time there were just seven friars and the house was in serious debt. [3 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.