Event detail for site: Llanfaes
c. 1237: Foundation
The friary was founded by Llywelyn ap Iorwerth as a memorial to his wife, Joan (Siwan), who died in 1237.
Joan was the daughter of King John and was buried in the friary church. What is thought to be her tomb is now in the church of St Mary and St Nicholas, Beaumaris. View image.
Medieval Religious Houses, England and Wales, ed. R. Neville Hadcock and David Knowles (Harlow, 1971) p. 246
Burton, Janet, The Monastic and Religious Orders in Britain 1000-1300 (Cambridge, 1994) p. 114
Rowlands, Kenneth, The Friars: A History of the British Medieval Friars (Book Guild: Lewes, 1999) pp. 126, 167
Williams, G., The Welsh Church from Conquest to Reformation (rev. edn; Cardiff, 1976) p. 21
Web links (open in new window)
Other events in the history of this site
c.1237: Foundation - The friary was founded by Llywelyn ap Iorwerth as a memorial to his wife, Joan (Siwan), who died in 1237. [7 sources]
1284: Commission of inquiry - The warden of Llanfaes was appointed by Archbishop Pecham to join a commission of inquiry to investigate the repair of churches damaged during the Edwardian wars. [1 sources]
1382: Burial - Iolo Goch mentions the burial of Goronwy ap Tudor of Penmynydd at Llanfaes - 'the half-naked friar'. [1 sources]
c.1401: Abandoned - The friary suffered during the troubles at the beginning of the fifteenth century and was said to have been deserted in 1401. [2 sources]
1414: Reconstitution - The friary was allegedly deserted from 1401, as a consequence of its involvement in the troubles at the start of the fifteenth century, but the house was reconstituted in 1414. [2 sources]
1538: Dissolution - The friary was dissolved in 1538. At this time there were four friars at Llanfaes. [2 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.