Event detail for site: Ruthin
c. 1375: Building work
A south aisle was added in the latter half of the fourteenth century.
This created a double-naved structure that extended eastwards as far as the east tower arch and made it necessary to build an arcade inside the building.
Web links (open in new window)
The Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, Church of St Peter, Ruthin, Denbighshire Churches Survey (View website)
Other events in the history of this site
1310: Foundation - The foundation of the house is attributed to John de Grey (d. 1323), son of Reginald, the first lord Grey of Ruthin. [1 sources]
c.1375: Building work - A south aisle was added in the latter half of the fourteenth century.
1478: Papal petition - A monk of the Cistercian abbey of Dundrennan, Scotland, sought papal permission to transfer to Ruthin. [1 sources]
c.1479: Dispersal - It seems that by 1478 Ruthin had failed and the community had dispersed. [3 sources]
1485x1508: Construction work - The construction of the roof of the north aisle is thought to have been undertaken at this time, on account of the heraldry here. [1 sources]
1535: Dissolution - Ruthin was dissolved in 1535 with the lesser religious houses. [2 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.