Event detail for site: Newport
pre 1448: Bequest
Hugh, duke of Buckingham, gave twenty-two burgages to the friary.
Wakeman, T., The Monastery of Austin Friars at Newport (Newport, 1859) p. 7
Other events in the history of this site
c.1377: Foundation - The friary was founded shortly before 1377 by Hugh, earl of Stafford, seemingly on the site of a chapel dedicated to St Nicholas.
c.1402: Destruction - The friary was destroyed in the Welsh revolt but was rebuilt shortly thereafter thanks to the duke of Buckingham. [2 sources]
pre 1448: Bequest - Hugh, duke of Buckingham, gave twenty-two burgages to the friary. [1 sources]
1482: Bequest - Henry, duke of Buckingham, gave six burgages to the friar. [1 sources]
1495: Bequest - Jasper Tudor, duke of Bedford and uncle of Henry VII, bequeathed twenty shillings to the Austin Friars at Newport. [2 sources]
1538: Dissolution - On 8 September 1538 the friary was surrendered to the king's agent by the last prior of Newport, Richard Batte. [5 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.