Monastic Wales.

Remnants of Llanllugan

Nothing remains of the claustral buildings which were destroyed at the Dissolution and indeed it is not known where exactly they were located. It has been suggested (Madelaine Gray) that the nuns may simply have had a single range adjacent to the north side of the church, where an early blocked doorway and wall-footings indicate an ancillary structure.

The former abbey church now survives as the parish church of St Mary, Llanllugan. Most of the building dates from the late fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. The south porch was seemingly built in the nineteenth century, when restoration work was undertaken.

A striking medieval remnant of Llanllugan’s medieval past is its collection of fifteenth-century stained glass from the former abbey. Surviving fragments bear the date 1453 and are preserved in the east window of the parish church, above the altar. The Llanllugan glass is one of the most significant Cistercian collections of this kind to survive.[1]

[1]Coflein; Monastic Matrix website, Llanllugan]

Monastic sites related to this article

Llanllugan, Powys(Abbey)