Newport (Friary)Order: Austin Friars
Newport friary was the only house of the Austin Friars in Wales. It was founded in the late fourteenth century by Hugh, earl of Stafford, and surrendered in 1538. show details of standing remains
Standing remainsMedieval Diocese: Llandaff
The friary was situated in a field called 'Friars Field' which is shown on eighteenth-century maps of Newport and stretched down to the river. The friary itself stood in the area now occupied by the bus station. Nothing remains of the friary although some of the buildings survived into the nineteenth or early twentieth century. An engraving of the friary was published in 1859. The friary is also depicted in Joshua Gosselin's 1784 watercolour although this was erroneously described as the house of the Blackfriars by Belle Vue Park.
Lordship at foundation: Glamorgan
Access: No remains; the bus station now occupies the site of the friary.
Main events in the history of this site
c.1377: Foundation - The friary was founded shortly before 1377 by Hugh, earl of Stafford, seemingly on the site of a chapel dedicated to St Nicholas.
c.1402: Destruction - The friary was destroyed in the Welsh revolt but was rebuilt shortly thereafter thanks to the duke of Buckingham. [2 sources]
pre 1448: Bequest - Hugh, duke of Buckingham, gave twenty-two burgages to the friary. [1 source]
1482: Bequest - Henry, duke of Buckingham, gave six burgages to the friar. [1 source]
1495: Bequest - Jasper Tudor, duke of Bedford and uncle of Henry VII, bequeathed twenty shillings to the Austin Friars at Newport. [2 sources]
1538: Dissolution - On 8 September 1538 the friary was surrendered to the king's agent by the last prior of Newport, Richard Batte. [5 sources]
+ 4 minor events. Show minor events
People associated with this site
Hugh, second earl of Stafford (founder)
9 Printed sourcesshow sources
'The Houses of the Friars at Cardiff and Newport. First Financial Accounts after the Suppression', in Miscellany South Wales and Monmouth Record Society, 4, ed. H. J. Randall and W. Rees (1957), pp. 51-6
Medieval Religious Houses, England and Wales, ed. R. Neville Hadcock and David Knowles (Harlow, 1971) p. 242
Monasticon Anglicanum: a History of the Abbies and other Monasteries, Hospitals, Frieries, and Cathedral and Collegiate Churches, with their Dependencies, in England and Wales, 6 in 8 vols, ed. Sir William Dugdale, revised J. Caley, H. Ellis, B. Bandinel (London, 1817-1830) vol. 6 pt 3, pp. 1487
Clapham, A. W., 'The architectural remains of the mendicant orders in Wales', Archaeological Journal, 84 (1927) p. 104
Jones, A, 'Property of the Welsh Friaries at the Dissolution', Archaeologia Cambrensis, 91 (1936), pp. 47-49
Rees, W., 'The suppression of the friaries in Glamorgan and Monmouthshire', in Miscellany, South Wales and Monmouth Record Society, 3, ed. H. J. Randall and W. Rees (Cardiff, 1954), pp. 7-19
RÃ¶hrkasten, Jens, 'Monasteries and urban space in medieval Welsh towns', in Monastic Wales: New Approaches, ed. Janet Burton and Karen StÃ¶ber (University of Wales: Cardiff, 2013), pp. 55-70
Wakeman, T., The Monastery of Austin Friars at Newport (Newport, 1859)
Williams, G., The Welsh Church from Conquest to Reformation (rev. edn; Cardiff, 1976)
6 On-line sourcesshow online sources
(all open in new window)
Medieval and Early Post-Medieval Newport Selected Documentary and Written References relating to its Topography, including to the roads, gates, churches, chantries, town walls, the Great Bailey etc (View website)
The National Archives, 'Records of the Exchequer, and its related bodies, with those of the Office of First Fruits and Tenth', (Document), (View website)
Newport, OS Grid:ST31228807
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.