Monastic Wales.

Display site:

Brecon (Friary)

Order: Dominicans

This small friary was founded in 1269 and surrendered in 1538. show details of standing remains

Dedicated to: St Nicholas Medieval Diocese: St David's
Lordship at foundation: Brecon
Access: The former friary is now a school.
Owned by: Christ College, Brecon

Main events in the history of this site

1269Foundation - The friary was founded in 1269. [1 source]
1291Grant - Eleanor of Castile gave 100s to Brecon and to each of the other four Dominican houses in Wales. [1 source]
1525Bequest - Sir Rhys ap Thomas, who died in 1525, left £2 13s 4d for new vestments at the Dominican friaries in Brecon and Haverfordwest. [1 source]
1538Dissolution - Brecon remained a small friary but was the largest of the Welsh friaries. At the time of its suppression there were ten friars and the community owned about six acres of land and had a small garden. [3 sources]
+ 2 minor events. Show minor events

People associated with this site

Rhys ap Thomas , Sir (benefactor)

Bibliographical sources

8 Printed sources

show sources

4 On-line sources

show online sources

Related articles on Monastic Wales

Remnants of Brecon Friary,

Powys, OS Grid:SO0419728436
View site details on COFLEIN (RCAHMW database)[new window]