Monastic Wales.








Display site:

Cardiff (Friary)

Order: Franciscans

The exact date of the foundation of the friary is not known but it had been established by 1284. Owen Glendower allegedly had a fondness for the Franciscans and spared the house in 1404 when he burned the town and castle. In the late sixteenth century the friary ruins were purchased by the Herbert family who built a mansion house on the site ('Greyfriars House'). Excavations produced a ground plan of the friary. show details of standing remains

Medieval Diocese: Llandaff
Lordship at foundation: Glamorgan
Access: No remains

Main events in the history of this site

pre 1284Foundation - The Franciscan friary had been established in Cardiff by 1284.  [1 source]
1318Burial - Llywelyn Bren and William Fleming were both buried in the church of the Grey Friars at Cardiff following their executions. [1 source]
1531Bequest - Sir Matthew Cradock bequeathed twelve kine (cows) to the Franciscans of Cardiff in a codical to his will dated June 1531. However he stipulated that the friars should not sell these animals but keep them for their own use. [2 sources]
1538Dissolution - On 6th September Dr Richard Ingworth arrived at Cardiff Friary to secure its surrender.  [3 sources][1 archive]
+ 2 minor events. Show minor events

Bibliographical sources

12 Printed sources

show sources

1 On-line sources

show online sources

Archival sources

The National Archives, 'Records of the Exchequer, and its related bodies, with those of the Office of First Fruits and Tenth', (Document), (View website)

Cardiff, OS Grid:ST1831676639
View site details on COFLEIN (RCAHMW database)[new window]


 
Graphic.