Monastic Wales.








Display site:

Bangor (Friary)

Order: Dominicans

The small friary at Bangor was founded by Llywelyn ap Gruffydd in the mid-thirteenth century.
Its rood screen attracted a number of pilgrims and was considered to be the holiest relic in north Wales. show details of standing remains

Medieval Diocese: Bangor
Lordship at foundation: Gwynedd

Main events in the history of this site

c.1251Foundation - The friary was founded by Llywelyn ap Gruffydd and is first mentioned in 1251. [2 sources]
1284Compensation - As a consequence of damage suffered during the Edwardian Wars the Dominicans at Bangor received £100 compensation from the king. This was a significant sum for a friary. [1 source]
1291Grant - Eleanor of Castile gave 100s to Bangor and to each of the other four Dominican houses in Wales. [1 source]
c.1299Reconstruction - The priory was allegedly rebuilt or enlarged at the end of the thirteenth century.  [3 sources]
1370Bequest - The friars of Bangor were the chief beneficiaries of Gervase de Castro, bishop of Bangor, who died in 1370. [1 source]
1538Bequest - A will of October 1538 left the sum of 6s. 8d to the friars of Bangor. [1 source]
1538Dissolution - The friary was suppressed in 1538; by this time many of the buildings were ruinous yet the site was still desirable and Edward Griffith, a member of the local gentry, was eager to secure the former friary as a town house. [2 sources]
+ 5 minor events. Show minor events

People associated with this site

Llywelyn ap Gruffudd , Prince of Wales (founder)

Bibliographical sources

8 Printed sources

show sources

2 On-line sources

show online sources

Related articles on Monastic Wales

Discoveries made on the Friar's Estate, Bangor, Archaeologia Cambrensis, 5th series, 17 (1900), 24-42, Harold Hughes and P. Sheakson Gregory

Gwynedd, OS Grid:SH5832272514
View site details on COFLEIN (RCAHMW database)[new window]


 
Graphic.