also known as: St Saviour'sOrder: Dominicans
The friary was a popular pilgrim site having an image of the Virgin with a miraculous taper. show details of standing remains
Standing remainsDedicated to: St Saviour Medieval Diocese: St David's
Nothing remains of the former friary which was located on Bridge Street, although it is not clear where precisely it was situated and if Bridge Street was at this time within or just outside the town walls.
Documentary sources dating from around the time of its suppression suggest that the friary was a fairly substantial complex having a main gate, church, kitchen, gardens, limekiln, stables and tenements.
Lordship at foundation: Pembroke
Main events in the history of this site
c.1246: Foundation - The friary had been founded by 1246 when the community received a grant from Henry III of 10 marks for the fabric of its church; the following year he gave another ten marks to help this cause. [2 sources]
1256: Grant - On 12th June the friars of Haverfordwest were granted 15 marks to transfer their church and buildings to a more convenient site and to expand their buildings. [3 sources]
1291: Grant - Eleanor of Castile gave 100s to Haverfordwest and to each of the other four Dominican houses in Wales. [1 source]
1291: Numbers - At this time there were thirty-nine friars at Haverfordwest. [1 source]
1314: Bequest - In his will of 1314 John de la Roche bequeathed forty shillings to the friars of Haverfordwest.
c.1388: Bequest - Adam Houghton, who was bishop of St David's, left the friars of Haverfordwest ten pounds sterling in his will of 8 May 1388. [1 source]
1394: Landholding - In September of this year the prior of Haverfordwest acquired royal pardon for holding the half burgage given to them by Roger Niger, the land Adam Lombe had given them in Bridge Street and the half burgage given to them by Richard de Excestre. [1 source]
1397: Bequest - John Gilbert, a Dominican from Guildford and bishop of St David's, bequeathed one hundred pounds sterling and several vestments to the friars of Haverfordwest. [1 source]
1450: Bequest - In his will of 27 January 1450, Robert Hoskyn, rector of the parish church of St Mary, left the two books of Godefridus and Rexmundus to the friars of Haverfordwest and 6s. 8d to pray for his soul.
1503: Bequest - Sir William Perrot bequeathed five shillings to the friars of Haverfordwest; the following year his wife bequeathed them the same amount. [1 source]
1525: Bequest - Sir Rhys ap Thomas, who died in 1525, left £2 13s 4d for new vestments at the Dominican friaries in Brecon and Haverfordwest. [1 source]
1526: Leasing of lands - From this time the friars began leasing out their lands. [2 sources]
1534: Lease - On the 20 December a merchant, Richard Taillor, and his wife, leased from the friars five gardens called the Friars' Gardens and the Friars' Meadow, for a rent of 8s.
1535: Lease - A stable or small tenement with a small garden was leased to Henry ap Owen, gentleman, and his wife, Alice, for their lives, for a rent of 3s. 4d.
1538: Visitation - Richard Ingworth, suffragan bishop of Dover, was commissioned by Henry VIII to conduct a visitation of the friaries and correct abuses. He visited Haverfordwest, accompanied by the bishop of St David's and the mayor of Haverfordwest. [1 source]
1538: Dissolution - On 2 September the prior of Haverfordwest and his seven friars surrendered the house. The name of the final friar to sign the deed was smeared over which suggests that he withdrew his consent at the last moment. [3 sources]
+ 14 minor events. Show minor events
People associated with this site
Rhys ap Thomas , Sir (benefactor)
8 Printed sourcesshow sources
'The Friar Preachers of Haverfordwest', The Reliquary and Illustrated Archaeologist, 23 (1883), pp. 11-16
Medieval Religious Houses, England and Wales, ed. R. Neville Hadcock and David Knowles (Harlow, 1971) p. 216
Monasticon Anglicanum: a History of the Abbies and other Monasteries, Hospitals, Frieries, and Cathedral and Collegiate Churches, with their Dependencies, in England and Wales, 6 in 8 vols, ed. Sir William Dugdale, revised J. Caley, H. Ellis, B. Bandinel (London, 1817-1830) vol 6 pt 3, p. 1500
Clapham, A. W., 'The architectural remains of the mendicant orders in Wales', Archaeological Journal, 84 (1927) p. 96
Jones, A, 'Property of the Welsh Friaries at the Dissolution', Archaeologia Cambrensis, 91 (1936), pp. 47-49
Jones, Barbara, 'The Dominican Friars of Haverfordwest: their sites and lands before and after the dissolution of the monasteries', Journal of the Pembrokeshire Historical Society, 3 (1989), pp. 77-91
Williams, G., The Welsh Church from Conquest to Reformation (rev. edn; Cardiff, 1976)
Williams, G., Religious Life of Haverfordwest; History of Haverfordwest (1980)